Wednesday, July 28, 2004

A Band?

Well as i planned, i started solo and now interest is being generated for my band. In other words, people want me to play with a band. Hmmmm I say... hmmm. I've been through a lot of band experiences but most have been short because i dont like tollerating the limitations. Limitations are fine for me if I have agreed to them before hand, or if i have set the boudaries and outlines themselves. If I were to work wiht other artists as myself, I would have to choose the music, and choose the songs i would head up and set up and lead in my name. The other artists would have to be happy to work with what I give them, and if they are good, they'll like it, because Im good and I understand what its like to need freedom and structure to apply your freedom to. But other musicians who dont understand that, might have insecurities that they won't be aware of until they waste my time. I'm all for auditions and natural gradual assimilation. Also, some players might be able to pick it up from the charts I make. I think I'll make those charts soon. I'll have to make them in a simple format more easily read - I'll not use the number system but I'll use the actual old school chords. My songs dont change keys - I already know what key i sing them in. So I'll have these made primarily for the bass player... and eventually for a keyboardist perhaps. But I'm looking to do a trio sound first and work out the feels for the drummer and bass player for now.

This has to happen right away. I'm doing a number of small things at the moment - trying to get my clothes tailored, and myself looking good... i got my hair trimmed up and I'm tryin' to style it so it's dependable and not ever changing. Well... eventually I'll have to set myself on a style, an attitude, and what not... anything could happen. I'll probably go with some makeup and home made clothes.... sorta goth in a way but my own style... and others in my band can be however they freakin wanna be... as long as they arent too average. they just have to be cool and good hearted and a heart and soul for art and music.

I'm a little tiny bit preoccupied with something right now... not sure how my personal life is changing right now. No I'm not turning gay. That's all I'll say for now.

Some people in the complex I live in are being cool with me lately - hmmmm does it have soemthing to do with my new clean cut look? HAHA. Well I like when poeple are open with me and acting cool with me.

I'm playing 3 more gigs this weekend. When do I get paid? Ah I think I get paid for four gigs .. hmm just thinkin outloud why am i writing this? Brings up a point tho - money IS a part of my life - and so is art and I dont have a dedicated work job - I DO blend the two and it takes a tricky ballance.

It looks like I will be expanding down to Sarasota soon. It's pretty cool I can choose a little bit where I play. i do want to be faithful first of all to my church gig and then to my gig here in town (you know who you are) and to ballance those two.  Then, I wanna use the rest of my time to expand and stay diverse. My buddy Danny has been great about that - he gives me encouragement - not in a condescending way but because he's sharing what he's going through in his own music endeavors as well.

Well I have to get a band together. I guess I'll call up some old friends and see what they're up to... the really good ones... and see what they really wanna do with music - and if what i have to offer is of interest to them. At least I have a firm start with what I'm doing. I dont have to compromise so much thanks to that.

So anyways. I'm at starbucks as usual. I'm gonna browse online some and then head back home.

Peace

No comments: