Saturday, December 11, 2004

What My Time is Worth

Can't you just come by and do your thing for a minute and then you can go? I'll pay you $50 - that's what a musician makes in 2 hours usualy. You dont even have to show up for rehearsal. Come on, you aren't that busy - you don't have a job or a family. What do you do all day? I wish i was living your life. Hey you gotta pay the bills some how - use it or lose it. It must be nice being rich and not having to work (sarchasm). Hey after all, it's music and it's what you enjoy - music isn't a job it's a gift. You were born being able to play. You should just play for free. Besides, there's a lot of great musicians out there who will jump to fill your spot.

Well this is my reply to that mentality. I don't like it. I sometimes put myself in those situations - less and less lately. I say no now on a regular basis, knowing that my time is valuable. Here are some reasons its not worth it.

- If i don't enjoy the job
- If i have to wear a costume
- If i have to play at the same place every week
- If i don't get paid enough
- If i don't choose the music
- If i have to sit around doing nothing for long periods of time
- If i have to drive far or in rush hour
- If i have to be there early in the day
- If i have to rehearse without pay to play other peoples' music
- If i have to advocate someones religeon through my participation
- If i have to smile
- If the sound system is bad or poorly run
- If there is a conflict of management
- If there is bad communication
- etc

I have found that i am more happy selling or manufacturing goods to sell in a trade market - online in particular, shipping and recieving from my house.

I have found that i cannot perform unless I am advocating only myself and my own ideas.

I have found that i should do what i believe in and follow my heart and stay independant from people who try to control me for their own desires.

I have found that a line must be drawn and repected.

My time is worth a lot to me, and how i spend it is important to me.

When i perform someplace, I must rehearse and put my best forward or i will hate what i do. There is no such thing as a small or easy job. When i perform it has to be great. And great means - my best - and my best means my greatest potential... which includes my ability to be creative, and a agreat performer, confident in my presentation and my performance. There is no such thing as a small gig and no small amount of money will allow me to play a small gig. I try to play where i am happy and i do not refuse money when all else is well. It is in times when i am doing what is most natural for me that i find it most suitable and appropriate to collect a fee.

No comments: